Regulation of the special competition for admission & enrollment of the international student to a cycle of undergraduate studies given at the organic units of the Polytechnic of Lisbon (Order no. 48/2014-IPL of July 21) * (Decree-Law no. Decree-Law no. 62/2018 of August 6, Procedure for the Admission of International Students at the Polytechnic of Lisbon (Order no. 5/2018), and Calendar of the application process and International student enrollment for the 2019-2020 school year (Dispatch no. 21/2019-IPL)
Results of the special competition for admission and enrollment of International Students in the 2019/2020 school year
1st Phase of applications
|List of candidates admitted to the special competition (final list)|
International Student Status
The International Student Statute applies to whom:
- Do not have Portuguese nationality;
- They are not nationals of any member state of the European Union;
- Did not require admission through the special access and entrance regimes regulated and organized by the General Directorate of Higher Education (DGES);
- Do not attend Politécnico de Lisboa, within the scope of any international mobility program, bilateral exchange agreement, or in the framework of a study cycle in association with one or more foreign higher education institutions;
- Has not been legally resident in Portugal for more than two years, on an uninterrupted basis, on january 1st, of the year in which they intend to enter higher education, as well as the children who reside with them, and the residence time for studies does not this effect;
- On january 1st of the year in which they intend to enter higher education, the status of equality of rights and duties attributed under any international treaty granted between the Portuguese State and the State of nationality is not a beneficiary;
- Do not have relatives of Portuguese or nationals of a member state of the European Union, regardless of their nationality.
Family members of Portuguese or nationals of a Member State of the European Union are:
- (a) Spouse of a citizen of the European Union;
- (b) Partner with whom a citizen of the European Union lives in a legal partnership, or with whom the citizen of the European Union maintains a permanent relationship duly certified, by the competent authority of the Member State where he resides;
- c) Direct descendant under 21 years of age or who is in charge of a citizen of the European Union, as well as that of the spouse or the direct ascendant.
Who is the international student?
The student who does not have Portuguese nationality.
- Nationals of a Member State of the European Union;
- Those who, not being nationals of a Member State of the European Union, have been legally resident in Portugal for more than two years, uninterruptedly, on 31 August of the year in which they intend to join the IPL, as well as the children living with them rightfully;
- Those who require admission to higher education through the special access and entry regimes regulated by Decree-Law no. 393-A / 99, of October 2nd, modified by Decree-Law no. 272/2009, of october 1st.
- Attend Politécnico de Lisboa as part of an international mobility program to carry out part of a study cycle of a foreign higher education institution with which IPL has established an exchange agreement for this purpose.
Do applicants for undergraduate / graduate courses have to hold diplomas / qualifications?
- Portuguese Higher Education Diploma or
- Diploma of qualification legally equivalent to Portuguese secondary education or
- Holders of a qualification giving access to higher education in the country of origin.
Are candidates for master's degrees required to hold diplomas / qualifications?
- a) Holders of the degree of licenciado (degree/bachelor) or equivalent legal or
- b) Holders of a foreign higher academic degree conferred following a 1st cycle of studies organized in accordance with the principles of Bologna by a State adhering to this process;
- c) Holders of a foreign higher academic degree that is recognized as satisfying the objectives of the degree of licenciado (degree/bachelor) by the scientifically competent organ of the higher education institution where it intends to be admitted or
- d) Holders of a school, scientific or professional curriculum, which is recognized as attesting capacity to carry out this cycle of studies by the scientifically competent body of the higher education institution where it intends to be admitted.
What are the conditions of admission?
- Specific academic qualification in the areas of knowledge required for the cycle of studies to which they apply;
Level of knowledge of the Portuguese language or other language in which the teaching is to be taught;
Meet the prerequisites established for the study cycle in question under the general regime of access and entry into higher education.
What are the course prerequisites?
These are physical, functional or vocational conditions that are particularly relevant for access to certain courses of Politécnico de Lisboa. It is up to each organic unit to decide whether to apply to any of its courses should be subject to the satisfaction of prerequisites and fix its content.
In the case of courses in the performing arts area of Dance and Music, the prerequisites to be presented in the application form will be the following:
- School of Dance:
- The admission of the candidates to the entrance contest begins with a pre-selection phase.
- The pre-selection phase consists in the evaluation of a video presented on application submission, in which it performs exercises of classical dance technique, contemporary dance technique and choreography.
Each of the exercises mentioned should last 3 to 4 minutes and present the following contents:
- a) Technique of classical dance (adagio, enchâinement de pirouette, petit allegro and grand allegro);
- b) Contemporary dance technique (floor work, spine mobility, back, legs and arms work, balance and off balance and turns the floor - changing levels, turns, jumps, falls);
- c) Choreography;
Studio video recording should ensure good image quality (stability, brightness, definition, proportionality) in order to allow the correct evaluation of the competitor (technical domain, physical characteristics, body and facial expression).
Applicants must be equipped according to the specific nature of each of the indicated exercises.
The evaluation will be carried out by a jury appointed by the Technical-Scientific Council, based on the candidate's abilities regarding: physical skills inherent in dance; coordination; musicality; quality of movement; mastery of dance techniques; spatial organization; interpretation and the possible integration of visual and sound elements.
Candidates accepted by the selection board are admitted to the competition.
The candidates admitted to the competition are still subject to the final selection phase, by performing face-to-face, of three practical tests for evaluation purposes: Technical dance test; Proof of creative response; Proof of choreographic composition.
The practical events ESD presentations are held on the day on july 23, 2019 (1st Phase) and on september 11, 2019 (2nd PHASE)
An interview will also be held in order to know the professional, artistic and pedagogical motivations of the candidate, not being relevant to the evaluation.
- School of Music of Lisbon:
The admission of the candidates to the entrance contest begins with a pre-selection phase.
The pre-selection phase consists of the evaluation of a video presented at the time of submission of the application, in which the candidate performs an aptitude test, program, at the candidate's choice, which lasts approximately 20 minutes and includes contrasting works.
The evaluation will be carried out by a jury appointed by the Technical-Scientific Council.
Candidates considered by the selection board are admitted to the competition.
The candidates admitted to the competition are still subject to the final selection phase, through face-to-face tests:
- a. Instrumental / Vocal Practice Test;
- b. Interview;
- c. Proof of General Music Knowledge.
The presente evidence at ESML is held from april 22 - 26, 2019 and the general knowledge proof of music on may 31, 2019.
An interview will also be held in order to know the candidate's professional, artistic and pedagogical motivations.
In case of undergraduate / graduate, what evidence does the candidate have to do?
If you are a holder of a Portuguese secondary education course, you must complete the entrance exams, by means of final national exams for secondary education;
Students who hold non-Portuguese courses legally equivalent to Portuguese secondary education, they may take Portuguese entrance exams as a self-taught student. Portuguese entrance examinations are held in Portugal or in a Portuguese school abroad, and the candidate must register under the same conditions and terms as are legally and regularly planned and published by the Portuguese Government's Directorate General for Higher Education (DGES).
Entry tests may be replaced by final examinations of subjects in those courses, if they are national in scope and when they refer to homologous subjects of entrance exams. (It is considered homologous the disciplines that, although with different denominations, have similar level and objectives and similar contents to those of the program of the entrance test that they aim to replace)
Entry tests may also be replaced by exams produced by the organizational units on subjects on which national entrance exams are subject.
Classifications of national entrance exams and foreign exams are valid in the year of their completion and in the following two years. For each course, they can only be used as entrance exams in which a grade equal to or higher than the minimum grade set by that institution is obtained for that course.
What is the level of knowledge of the language that the international student should have?
The User who is independent of the Portuguese language or another language in which instruction is given, corresponding to level B2, in accordance with the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
International candidates with only a command of the Portuguese language or another language in which education is given, equivalent to level B1, according to the QECRL, may apply for this entrance examination, provided that they undertake to attend a course in Portuguese foreign language, or another language in which teaching is given, and confirmation of enrollment in the organic unit depends on obtaining level B2 of that language.
If the candidate has as a condition of access a Portuguese secondary education diploma or a qualification diploma legally equivalent to that in the language in which the teaching is to be taught, he is exempt from demonstrating the knowledge of that language.
Where can they attend the Portuguese language course?
The Language and Culture Center (CLiC) of Politécnico de Lisboa offers Portuguese Language courses in two modalities: intensive course to be held before the beginning of the semester or normal course to be carried out during the semester implying the attendance of the course the annuity payment
How to apply?
The application will be made online.
Applications for the 2019/2020 academic year
1st Phase - Applications submission of: February 4-18, 2019
2nd Phase - Applications submission of: May 17-30, 2019
Application fee: 102.50 € *
* Please note: you must pay the fee before submitting your application; each application corresponds to a course, if you want to apply for more than one course you will have to pay a fee for each application.
What documents do you need for the application?
When completing your application, you will need to upload the following documents:
- Copy of passport or Foreign Identity document;
- Declaration under an honor (HERE), that the candidate does not have Portuguese nationality and is not covered by any of the exceptions defined;
- Document proving the completion of Portuguese secondary education or equivalent (ENEM, in case of Brazilian students) *, or of the qualification required and sufficient for access to higher education in the country of origin, duly certified by the competent authorities;
- Diploma proving knowledge of the language in which the teaching will be taught corresponding to level B2 according to the QECRL or declaration issued if they attend the course of Portuguese foreign language *;
Other documents requested by the organic units.
Bachelor / Undergraduate:
Document proving the completion of Portuguese secondary education or equivalent (ENEM, in case of Brazilian students), in the case of applications for undergraduate / graduate courses.
- (documents duly authenticated by the Portuguese consular agent in the country of origin of the diploma and / or legalized by The Hague Apostille, in accordance with the Convention on the Suppression of the Legalization of Foreign Public Acts, signed in The Hague, 5 October 1961);
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae;
- Letter of motivation and letters of recommendation when they exist.
* Documents must be translated whenever they are not issued in Portuguese, English, French or Spanish and are endorsed by the consular service or submitted with The Hague Apostille by the competent authority of the State where the document originates.
Minimum Note for Application
Politécnico de Lisboa accepts applications from Brazilian students who completed the ENEM in 2019 or who have done so in the previous 3 years (2018, 2017 or 2016) and hold a high school diploma. IPL requires a minimum of 500 points in the essay writing and at least 475 points in each of the remaining tests of the National High School Examination.
Students must have a specific academic qualification in the areas of knowledge required for the course they are applying for or are available for testing.
This qualification is proven by presenting documentary evidence at the time of application.
Where are the calendar and contest results published?
The calendar of the competition and the list of candidates will be published on the website of Politécnico de Lisboa and its respective organizational units.
How do I proceed with registration and registration?
Accepted candidates must register and register online or in person within the deadline set in the calendar, through the credentials received after admission to the competition. The enrollment also implies enrollment of the student in the respective Organic Unit and is subject to the payment of the fee provided in the table of the Politécnico de Lisboa.
What is the amount of the gratuity (and other costs)?
The annual tuition fee is fixed for each cycle of studies by the General Council, on proposal of the President and its payment is due, in full at the time of enrollment and enrollment.
For students who are nationals of a CPLP member state, tuition fee may be discounted up to 50% of the value.
Scientific Areas Annuity Value
Management, Communication and Education Area
|Lisbon Accounting and Business School|
|School of Communication and Media Studies|
Lisbon Education School
Area Technologies, Health
|Lisbon Institute of Engineerig||€ 6,100 |
|Lisbon School of Health Technology|
|School of Communication and Media Studies|
Area of Arts
|School of Dance||€ 6,900 |
|Lisbon School of Music|
Theater and Film School
Associated fees (Emolument)
International Relations and Academic Mobility Office (GRIMA) provides all necessary information and guidance prior to student arrival and concrete assistance upon arrival.
Contact GRIMA: firstname.lastname@example.org
To enter Portuguese territory, all citizens coming from countries that are not members of the European Union must:
• Have a valid visa that is appropriate for the purpose of the visit. This visa must be applied for at a Portuguese diplomatic mission or permanent consular post abroad in advance of approximately 4 months before enrollment.
• Have sufficient means of subsistence for the period of stay.
• Not be subject to any alert issued in the SEF's Integrated Information System (Foreigners and Borders Service) or the Schengen Information System.
Students from outside the EU or EEA must make sure before they travel that they have health insurance to guarantee medical care during their stay in Portugal. In particular, Brazilian students, linked to Brazilian social security, may request Form PB4 from the competent institution in Brazil to benefit from health care in Portugal, on a basis of equality with Portuguese nationals.
At the beginning of each semester, the GRIMA in cooperation with each Organic Unit organizes a day of welcome specially dedicated to foreign students studying at the Polytechnic of Lisbon. During this initiative students participate in a variety of activities of an academic, informative, social and cultural nature. In this context, the teams from the International Offices, the academic coordinators and the other foreign students will get to know each other.
Cost of living
the standard of living in Lisbon is lower than in other European capitals. Foreign students should consider some minimum basic costs per month from around € 650 to € 750. Some reference values:
Accommodation: € 350,00 to € 450,00
Transportation: € 36,00
Meal in the university canteen: € 2.40
Meal at an inexpensive restaurant: € 10,00
For more information and clarifications on joining Politécnico de Lisboa, contact the Office of International Relations and Academic Mobility:
Benfica Campus of IPL
+351 210 464 762
Face-to-face and telephone hours:
10h00 -12h00 / 14h30-16h30 (Mon-Fri)