Regulation of the special competition for access and admission of the international student to a degree course taught in the organic units of the Polytechnic of Lisbon (Order no. 48/2014-IPL of 21 July) *, (Decree-Law no. 36/2014 of 10 March), Decree-Law No. 62/2018 of 6 August, Procedure for the Admission of International Students to the Lisbon Polytechnic (Order No. 5/2018), Resolution No. 784/2017 - IPL, Calendar of the application process and registration of international students for the academic year 2020-2021 (Order No. 030/2020-IPL), and Regulation - Deadlines and procedures to be adopted in the payment of tuition fees (Order No. 10079/2017)
The international student is a student who does not have Portuguese nationality.
Are not covered by international student status:
a) nationals of a member state of the European Union;
b) family members of Portuguese or nationals of a member state of the European Union, regardless of their nationality;
c) those who, not being nationals of a member state of the European Union and not covered by the previous paragraph, have legally resided in Portugal for more than two years, uninterruptedly, on January 1 of the year in which they intend to enter higher education, as well as the children who legally reside with them;
d) those who are beneficiaries, on January 1 of the year in which they intend to enter higher education, with the status of equal rights and duties attributed under the international treaty granted between the Portuguese State and the State of which they are nationals;
e) those who require admission to higher education through special access and admission regimes regulated by Decree-Law no. 393-A / 99, of 2 October, amended by Decree-Law no. 272/2009, of October 1st.
f) foreign students who are attending a Portuguese higher education institution as part of an international mobility program to carry out part of a study cycle of a foreign higher education institution with which the Portuguese institution has established an agreement. exchange for that purpose.
g) The time of residence with a residence permit for study does not count for the purposes of paragraph c).
h) Students entering higher education under the status of international student maintain the status of international student until the end of the study cycle in which they initially enrolled or to move on, even though, during the frequency of the study cycle, they will be granted the status of equal rights and duties under an international treaty granted between the Portuguese State and the State of which they are nationals.
Family members of Portuguese or nationals of a Member State of the European Union area) The spouse of a citizen of the European Union;
a) The spouse of a citizen of the European Union;
b) The partner with whom a citizen of the European Union lives in a de facto union, established under the law, or with whom the citizen of the European Union maintains a permanent relationship, duly certified, by the competent entity of the Member State where he resides;
c) The direct descendant under the age of 21 or who is in charge of a citizen of the European Union, as well as that of the spouse or direct ascendant.
- Hold a Portuguese secondary school diploma or
- Have a qualification diploma legally equivalent to Portuguese secondary education or
- Be the holder of a qualification that gives access to higher education, in the country of origin.
Diplomas / qualifications required for candidates for master's courses:
- a) Hold a Bachelor's degree or legal equivalent or
b) Hold a foreign higher academic degree conferred following a 1st cycle of studies organized in accordance with the principles of Bologna by a State adhering to this Process or
c) Hold a foreign higher academic degree that is recognized as meeting the objectives of the degree by the statutory competent scientific body of the higher education institution where you intend to be admitted or
d) Be the holder of a school, scientific or professional curriculum, which is recognized as attesting the capacity to carry out this cycle of studies by the statutory competent scientific body of the higher education institution where he intends to be admitted.
What are the admission conditions?
- Have specific academic qualifications in the areas of knowledge required for the study cycle to which they are applying;
- Have a level of knowledge of the Portuguese language or another language in which teaching will be given;
- Satisfy the prerequisites set for the study cycle in question within the general system of access and entry into higher education.
What are the course prerequisites?
These are physical, functional or vocational conditions that are particularly relevant for access to certain courses at Politécnico de Lisboa. It is up to each organic unit to decide whether the application for any of its courses should be subject to the satisfaction of prerequisites and fix its content.
In the case of courses in the performing arts of Dance and Music, the admission of candidates to the competition (local tests) starts with a pre-selection phase
School of Dance:
The pre-selection phase consists of the evaluation of a video presented at the time of submission of the application, in which the candidate performs exercises of classical dance technique, contemporary dance technique and choreography.
Each of the mentioned exercises should last 3 to 4 minutes and present the following contents:
a) Classical dance technique (adagio, pirouette filling, petit allegro and grand allegro);
b) Contemporary dance technique (floor work, standing work - spine mobility, back, legs and arms work, balance and off balance and acres the floor - changing levels, turns, jumps, falls);
The video recording, done in the studio, must ensure good image quality (stability, brightness, definition, proportionality) in order to allow the correct evaluation of the competitor (technical domain, physical characteristics, body and facial expression).
Candidates must present themselves equipped according to the specific character of each of the indicated exercises.
The evaluation will be carried out by a jury designated by the Technical-Scientific Council, based on the abilities revealed by the candidate in relation to: physical skills inherent to dance; coordination; musicality; quality of movement; mastery of dance techniques; spatial organization; interpretation and the possible relationship / integration of visual and sound elements.
Candidates admitted to the competition are also subject to the final selection phase, by conducting in person, three practical tests for evaluation purposes: Technical dance test; Proof of creative response; Proof of choreographic composition.
An interview will also be held in order to learn about the professional, artistic and pedagogical motivations of the candidate, not relevant for the evaluation.
(See calendar of local access tests)
School of Music of Lisbon:
Pre-selection phase consists of the evaluation of a video presented at the time of submission of the application, in which the candidate performs an instrumental aptitude test, program, chosen by the candidate, with an approximate duration of 20 minutes and which includes contrasting works.
The evaluation will be carried out by a jury designated by the Technical-Scientific Council.
Candidates considered by the jury are admitted to the competition.
Candidates admitted to the competition are also subject to the final selection phase, by means of face-to-face tests:
A. Instrumental / Vocal Practice Test;
C. Proof of General Knowledge of Music.
(See calendar of local access tests)
An interview will also be held to learn about the candidate's professional, artistic and pedagogical motivations.
Candidates for undergraduate courses - Entry exams
- If you are a holder of a Portuguese secondary education course, you must take the entrance exams, taking the form of national final exams for secondary education;
- For students holding non-Portuguese courses legally equivalent to Portuguese secondary education, they can take Portuguese entry tests as a self-proposed student. Portuguese entrance exams are held in Portugal or at a Portuguese school abroad, and the candidate must register under the same conditions and deadlines legally and regularly provided for and published by the Directorate-General for Higher Education (DGES) of the Portuguese Government.
- Entry exams can be replaced by final exams for subjects from those courses, if they have a national scope and when referring to disciplines similar to the entrance exams. (The disciplines that, although with different denominations, have the same level and objectives and similar contents to the entry test program that they are intended to replace, are considered homologous)
- The entrance exams can also be replaced by exams prepared by the organic units on matters that are subject to the national entrance exams, when this is considered
- Required language level
- Be an independent user of the Portuguese language or any other language in which education is given, corresponding to level B2, according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
- International candidates who have only one command of the Portuguese language, or another language in which teaching is given, equivalent to the B1 level, according to the CEFR, can apply for this access competition, provided they commit to attend a course in Portuguese as a foreign language, or in another language in which teaching is given, with confirmation of enrollment in the organic unit dependent on obtaining level B2 of that language.
- If the candidate has as a condition of access a Portuguese secondary education diploma, or a qualification diploma legally equivalent to this in the language in which the teaching will be taught, he / she is exempted from demonstrating knowledge of that language.
- The Center for Languages and Culture (CLiC) of the Polytechnic of Lisbon organizes Portuguese Language courses in two modalities: intensive course to be carried out before the beginning of the semester or normal course to be carried out during the semester, implying the frequency of the course and the payment of an annual fee.
Applications for the 2021-2022 academic year
1st phase of submission of applications from: February 15th to March 1st, 2021
2nd phase of submission of applications from: May 14th to May 28th 2021
Application fee: € 100 *
* Attention: you must pay the fee before submitting your application;
Each application corresponds to a course. If you want to apply for more than one course, you will have to pay a fee for each application.
You can pay the application fee through PayPal (directly on the online application form) or by Bank Transfer (in this case the application will only be considered after sending a supporting document identified with the candidate's name to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Elements for bank transfer:
Bank Name: IGCP
Account holder: Lisbon Polytechnic Institute - Estrada de Benfica 529, 1500-003 LISBON
Account Number: 1120012778
IBAN: PT50 0781 0112 0112 0012 7782 7
SWIFT / BIC code: IGCPPTPL
Documents required for the application (all courses) *
When filling out your application you will need to upload the following documents:
- Copy of passport or Foreign Identity document;
- Declaration on honor, that the candidate is neither Portuguese nor covered by any of the exceptions defined (draft declaration available on the application form);
- Diploma proving knowledge of the language in which the teaching will be given corresponding to level B2 in accordance with the CEFR or declaration issued if they are going to attend the Portuguese as a foreign language course (native students from Portuguese speaking countries are exempt);
- Other documents may be requested by the organizational units.
Document proving completion of Portuguese secondary education or equivalent (ENEM, in the case of Brazilian students) * or, the necessary and sufficient qualification for access to higher education in the country of origin, duly certified by the competent authorities.
Document proving a bachelor's degree or legal equivalent or with a school, scientific or professional curriculum, depending on the condition of access by the international student
Discrimination of subjects, credits or workloads and respective grades
Detailed Curriculum Vitae;
Letter of motivation and letters of recommendation when they exist.
* Documents duly authenticated by the Portuguese consular agent in the country of origin of the diploma and / or legalized by the Hague Apostille, pursuant to the Convention on the Suppression of the Requirement for the Legalization of Foreign Public Acts signed, in The Hague, on October 5, 1961) ; Documents must be translated whenever they are not issued in Portuguese, English, French or Spanish, and endorsed by the consular service or presented with the Hague Apostille by the competent authority of the State from which the document originates.
Brazilian Students: Application Note
Politécnico de Lisboa accepts applications from Brazilian students who took ENEM in 2021 or who had done it in the previous 3 years (2020, 2019, 2018) and who hold a high school diploma. The Politécnico de Lisboa requires a minimum of 500 points in the essay test and at least 475 points in each of the remaining tests of the National High School Exam.
Students must have specific academic qualifications, in the areas of knowledge required for the course to which they apply or be available for taking tests.
This qualification is proven by presenting documentary evidence at the time of application.
Contest schedule and results
The competition calendar and the candidates' ranking list are published on the website of Politécnico de Lisboa and the respective organizational units.
Registration and Registration
Admitted candidates must complete their registration and registration online or in person within the deadline set in the calendar, using the credentials received after admission to the competition. The enrollment also implies the student's enrollment in the respective Organic Unit and is subject to the payment of the fee provided in Politécnico de Lisboa's table.
Tuition fees / annual fee - annual fee
What documents do you need for the application?
When completing your application, you will need to upload the following documents:
- Copy of passport or Foreign Identity document;
- Declaration under an honor (HERE), that the candidate does not have Portuguese nationality and is not covered by any of the exceptions defined;
- Document proving the completion of Portuguese secondary education or equivalent (ENEM, in case of Brazilian students) *, or of the qualification required and sufficient for access to higher education in the country of origin, duly certified by the competent authorities;
- Diploma proving knowledge of the language in which the teaching will be taught corresponding to level B2 according to the QECRL or declaration issued if they attend the course of Portuguese foreign language *;
Other documents requested by the organic units.
Tuition fee (and other costs)
The value of the annual tuition fee is fixed for each cycle of studies, by the General Council, on a proposal from the President and its payment is due, in full at the time of registration and registration.
For students who are nationals of a CPLP member state, the tuition fee can be discounted up to 50% of the respective fee.
Tuition fees / annual fee - annual fee
Management, Communication and Education Area
|Lisbon Accounting and Business School|
|School of Communication and Media Studies|
Lisbon School of Education
|Lisbon Institute of Engineerig||€ 6,100 |
|Lisbon School of Health Technology|
|School of Dance||€ 6,900 |
|Lisbon School of Music|
Theater and Film School
Associated fees (Emolument)
€40,00 / year
The acceptance of the enrollment or enrollment implies the full maturity of the tuition fee for the academic year to which it relates and the settlement of any debts due and unpaid in the previous academic years.
Payment of the tuition fee can be made:
a) At once, upon registration / enrollment;
b) In seven installments, all of the academic year to which they relate, winning:
i) The first upon registration / registration, corresponding to 16.5% the amount fixed in each school.
ii) The second, corresponding to 16.5% of the value fixed in each school, until October 31st.
iii) The rest of equal value, the sum corresponding to 67% of the amount payable, each due on the following calendar of the academic year to which they relate:
- Third, until January 31;
- Wednesday, until February 28 or 29;
- Thursday, until March 31;
- Friday, until April 30;
- Seventh, until May 31.
Tuition fee return policy *
In no case will the payment of the fees made at the time of application and / or registration and registration be refunded.
The refund of the amounts of tuition fees eventually paid before withdrawal is provided for in article 13 of the annex to Order 10079/2017, published in Diário da República of November 21, 2017:
Cancellation of registration / registration:
1- In cases where the student requests the cancellation of the enrollment / registration, the fee to be paid is as follows:
a) within 10 working days after the start of classes - 0 (zero) tuition fee;
b) until the end of December - 50% of the tuition fee;
c) After the deadline set in the previous paragraph - total tuition fee;
2- In the case of cancellation provided for in paragraph a) of the previous number, the services must proceed with the return of the amounts paid to the student that exceed the percentage indicated therein.
* The information presented does not exempt from consulting the respective legislation
International Relations and Academic Mobility Office (GRIMA) provides all necessary information and guidance prior to student arrival and concrete assistance upon arrival.
Contact GRIMA: email@example.com
To enter Portuguese territory, all citizens from countries that are not members of the European Union must:
- Be in possession of a valid document that is appropriate for the purpose of the visit. This visa must be applied for at a Portuguese diplomatic mission or permanent consular post abroad within a period of 4 months in advance before the registration is completed.
- Have sufficient means of subsistence for the period of stay.
- Not be subject to any alert issued in the SEF Integrated Information System (Foreigners and Borders Service) or the Schengen Information System.
Cost of living
The standard of living in Lisbon is lower than in other European capitals. Foreign students must consider some minimum basic costs per month of around € 650 to € 750.
Some reference values:
Accommodation € 350.00 to € 450.00
Transport: € 36.00
Meal in the university canteen € 2.40
Meal in a budget restaurant: € 10.00
For more information, please contact the Office of International Relations and Academic Mobility:
+351 210 464 762
Face-to-face and phone hours:
10h00 -12h00 / 14h30-16h30 (Mon-Fri)